- This week we’ll start with a great science fiction resource, BestSFBooks. It’s a very hand reference for listing best sellers and award winners.
- There is a great interview with Mike Judge (creator of Beavis and Butthead) over at Vice.com.
- Q magazine is releasing a U2 tribute album to their Achtung Baby album, which is – gasp! – 2o years old now. Cover artists include Nine Inch Nails, The Killers, and Jack White. Check it out here. Physicists at CERN working on the Large Hadron Collider are already studying ways in which they can reduce the size of U2’s ego by colliding the band members heads together at high speeds.
- Only for St. Louisans, STL Today.com offers a great site to keep track of where your favorite St. Louis lunch trucks will be next.
- Next up we have some more fan made live action mini-movie coolness, this time in the Voltron world:
- Last but not least we have excerpts of the commentary by Arnold Schwarzenegger and John Milius (John Goodman is mistakenly pictured) on the classic ‘Conan the Barbarian’ movie. Even though I don’t have a blu-ray player I now feel compelled to get one and purchase the movie just for the commentary. Enjoy.
Tag Archives: science fiction
First up is a roundup of sci-fi publication news.
- The online version of The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction has launched the Beta version, meaning primarily that any number of entries have yet to be fleshed out with content, but the underlying structure is there. Looks great but it seems like they’re trying to reinvent the wiki format and trying to shoehorn it into something that resembles the book when it should be the reverse.
- Amazon has announced a new science fiction, fantasy, and horror publishing arm called 47North. They’ve got quite a bit of content coming out in the near future featuring works with Neal Stephenson and Greg Bear. Great news but I wish Amazon would ditch the DRM on it’s downloadable books the way they did with music and drop the prices of digital versions to make them more competitive with ‘real’ books.
- Vernor Vinge has released the third volume in his Zones of Thought cycle, Children of the Sky, reviewed here on Boing Boing. The first two books in the series, A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky, are both excellent reads. I remember picking up Fire in an airport on the way to Jamaica and being absorbed by his dense and imaginative world while sipping banana daiquiri’s on the beach.
A couple of gems coming out soon to theater/video:
- The animated adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novel Batman: Year One, will be released a week from tomorrow according to I09. Casting includes Breaking Bad’s Bryan Cranston as Inspector Gordon.
- And if you haven’t seen it already, here is the official trailer for The Avengers below. Looks good; Loki is the only bad guy I can really identify.