Nothing goes with a baking hot summer day like the blues. Here’s Jimi Hendrix bringing some heat and feeling on guitar like no other:
Here’s a great clip from Conan teaching Chicago elementary school students how to come up with ideas for Blues songs, not to mention an unintentional lesson on how to get kids involved and invested in music. The kid who plays harmonica will go far if he can stop getting hit in the head.
Before that we have another Chicago Conan clip this time featuring Reggie Watts singing Thin Lizzy’s ‘The Boys Are Back in Town’:
Conan teaching the Blues:
Here’s to discovering a musician I’ve never heard before but who’s career has touched a wide array of musicians and musical styles. Here he is playing an instrumental piece, “Poor Boys Long Way From Home,” in the late 70’s in the midst of a lot of trouble in his personal life, exhibiting his “style that blended the picking patterns he discovered on old blues 78s with the dissonance of contemporary classical composers he loved…” (wikipedia).
Some Tuesday slow-burning blues for you from Junior Kimbrough, “I Gotta Try You Girl”:
The NHL playoffs begin tonight. Time to start your playoff beards gentlemen.
- The NHL is starting a beard-a-thon for charity. Here’s the link for the Blues.
- Slideshow from bleacherreport.com on the 25 Greatest Playoff Beards of All Time.
- Ladies, not sure what the best female alternative to the playoff beard would be..any ideas? Playoff nails?
- And if your team makes it to the cup you’ll already have a head start on this year’s World Beard and Moustache Championship.
More NHL Playoffs:
- 1st Round Schedule
- The NHL and NBC took baby steps this year to increase the number of games you’ll be able to see but archaic broadcast rights rules still plague the NHL Playoffs, making some teams and games difficult or impossible to see depending on your cable/satellite provider and geographic location.
- You can watch the first four Blues games for free at select Wehrenberg theaters in St. Louis. Besides the novelty I’m not sure why you wouldn’t just go to a sports bar though.
- 1st Round series to watch: Predators vs. Red Wings