The Black Keys released the first single “Lonely Boy” yesterday for their upcoming new album El Camino, which will be released on December 6th and can be pre-ordered on the Black Keys website.
Monthly Archives: October 2011
- This week we’ll start with a great science fiction resource, BestSFBooks. It’s a very hand reference for listing best sellers and award winners.
- There is a great interview with Mike Judge (creator of Beavis and Butthead) over at Vice.com.
- Q magazine is releasing a U2 tribute album to their Achtung Baby album, which is – gasp! – 2o years old now. Cover artists include Nine Inch Nails, The Killers, and Jack White. Check it out here. Physicists at CERN working on the Large Hadron Collider are already studying ways in which they can reduce the size of U2’s ego by colliding the band members heads together at high speeds.
- Only for St. Louisans, STL Today.com offers a great site to keep track of where your favorite St. Louis lunch trucks will be next.
- Next up we have some more fan made live action mini-movie coolness, this time in the Voltron world:
- Last but not least we have excerpts of the commentary by Arnold Schwarzenegger and John Milius (John Goodman is mistakenly pictured) on the classic ‘Conan the Barbarian’ movie. Even though I don’t have a blu-ray player I now feel compelled to get one and purchase the movie just for the commentary. Enjoy.
What’s He That Wishes So? Saint Crispin’s Day
Hail and well met on this Saint Crispin’s Day! It’s as good a day as any and better than most to raise a glass with your brother (or sister). Drink and repeat after me:
What's he that wishes so? My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin: If we are mark'd to die, we are enow To do our country loss; and if to live, The fewer men, the greater share of honour. God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more. By Jove, I am not covetous for gold, Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost; It yearns me not if men my garments wear; Such outward things dwell not in my desires: But if it be a sin to covet honour, I am the most offending soul alive. No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England: God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour As one man more, methinks, would share from me For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more! Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host, That he which hath no stomach to this fight, Let him depart; his passport shall be made And crowns for convoy put into his purse: We would not die in that man's company That fears his fellowship to die with us. This day is called the feast of Crispian: He that outlives this day, and comes safe home, Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named, And rouse him at the name of Crispian. He that shall live this day, and see old age, Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours, And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:' Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars. And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.' Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages What feats he did that day: then shall our names. Familiar in his mouth as household words Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter, Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester, Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd. This story shall the good man teach his son; And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, From this day to the ending of the world, But we in it shall be remember'd; We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, This day shall gentle his condition: And gentlemen in England now a-bed Shall think themselves accursed they were not here, And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day. - Henry V, Shakespeare
I didn’t think I liked Jack White. When the White Stripes were a big thing, it seemed like a gimmick: a chick who can’t really play drums, no bass player, and a pale Johnny Depp guy doing everything else. I didn’t really give it a close listen, and still haven’t.
Then guerillaradio.net introduced me to his latest band, The Dead Weather, for which White plays drums and which I immediately liked.
Now, a year or so later, pandora radio leads to the in-between band: The Raconteurs. Jack’ back on guitar and sharing the singing duties with a guy that, to steal my wife’s reference, sounds like he was in Triumph. I only own their second album as I write this, but it is a collection of some very strong songs. I dare you not to get hooked on this.
The Official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Coloring Album
Monster Brains has released a full scan of The Official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Coloring Album. Illustrated by Greg Irons (deceased, 1984) it was originally published in 1979 and is currently out of print. From the Monster Brains blog:
I’ve chosen to share the entire coloring book for anyone interested in printing it out and coloring it themselves. Every page is included in order. I don’t normally share copyrighted material in its entirety, however considering this “coloring book” has been out of print for over 30 years, I feel this thing deserves to be shared. If copyright holders of this book are opposed to my sharing it, feel free to contact me and I’ll remove it by request.